Monday 21 November 2011

Christmas is coming, the goose is getting fat....

and I've done my Christmas cake & pudding!  I normally use my Mam's recipe but put it on my computer using the Microsoft Works database (rather than word) then stupidly threw out my scrawled paper copy....  (yep, you know what's coming next, don't you!).

My laptop went kaput.  One of the lovely dad's at my sons' school managed to rescue all my data off the hard-drive for me, but my new laptop doesn't have Microsoft Works...  I've downloaded a program that can open Works files but still - no recipes......

So this year I'm using Delia's recipes for Christmas cake & pudding....  I've had to adapt them cos a) I've developed an allergy to nuts, specifically almonds & hazelnuts (with walnuts & possibly pecans thrown in) & b) none of us really like currants...

So, cashews in place of almonds & extra sultanas/raisins in place of currants.  Mind you, stupidly I substituted prunes in place of some of the currants in the pudding & then realised that prunes are dried plums & almonds are a member of the plum family..... (it's a good job I just get a rash & a tingly mouth really, isn't it!!)

What else have I done?  I've knitted one small green elephant for one small green elephant (gorgeous boy number 4 seems to think that he's a green elephant!) I'm just about finished one hat (one down, 3 more to go) & I'm hoping to have time to make a larger green elephant.

I've found a recipe for homemade FROZEN roasties - so we're going to test that out this week to see if it actually works - if so, they can be pre-prepared when I do the rest of the veggies & the gravy some time in the next 2 weeks....

I've ordered a couple of presents for the boys & we have a rough idea what else they're getting....

Just the food shopping & present buying for himself to do then.  How many shopping days left?

Till next time - mwah xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment